It takes more than a sperm and an egg to become a parent.
I was surfing the web in quest to find something interesting to keep my mind busy and maybe get inspired by people’s stories. Instead, for some odd reason, I just kept finding right winged articles about same-sex parenthood and why it should be banned. I was not exactly interested but I was getting quite upset and insulted not because I am adopted or know somebody adopted or because I am in a same-sex relationship and might want to adopt a child but because of the way these claims were made and what they were implying.
Professor Nick Tonti-Phillipini at the John Paul II Institute for Marriage and Family published in the Sydney Morning Herald:
“A child’s relationship to both mother and father is inherent to marriage. Children conceived by other means may find themselves with people in parental roles who are in a same-sex relationship, but such relationships are not the origin of the child. It is likely for children to be loved and nurtured in such a household, but however good that nurturing, it will not provide the biological link and security of identity and relationship that marriage naturally demands and confirms.”
This statement insults not just same-sex couples who wish to adopt but also heterosexual couples and adopted children themselves.
No matter how you read this, it makes a loud statement that an adopted child will have an inferior, less loving upbringing just because he or she is not biologically linked to his / her parents. They are saying that only a married couple can bring a child to this world and raise it to become a good person.
How about the fact, that those parents that wait for years to have a baby? Aren’t they going to love this child, care for it, give everything they have to this child more than somebody who is bringing children into this world to get a welfare check?
Adopted parents are the ones who will attend every hockey game, they will go to every soccer game rain or shine, they will wipe your tears after your first heart break, they will teach you the difference between right and wrong, they will do their best to teach you values to live your life and make a difference.
They will love you no matter what and they will stand by you no matter what you chose to do with your life.
It takes more than a sperm and an egg to become a parent, and so called biological bond doesn’t make you a better or a worse parent
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
About DaceI am perfectly imperfect!
- Anecdoche: A conversation in which everyone is talking, but nobody is listening
- Occhiolism: The awareness of the smallness of your perspective
- Nodus Tollens: The realization that the plot of your life doesn’t make sense to you anymore
- Sonder: The realization that everybody has a story
- The Unsettling Awareness of My Own Heartbeat