Different Ways To Come Out
There isn’t an easy answer as for some it is not a problem at all, for some it will be a happy event, for some the world will turn around, and for some it will be a struggle with a happy or not so happy ending. It is the same way as with anything else that your parents, your relatives, your community doesn’t approve either it is a piercing, or bright green hair or your pants are hanging off your butt and you are showing your Calvin Klein underwear to the world.
There are so many ways to come out. You either make a big deal out of it or not. As I said, it is not easy as this world is a little bit more populate with heterosexuals than us. The main thing to remember is – just do what your heart tells you. One day you will reach a point when you can’t live a lie anymore and you need to, have to, should or must come out to yourself or those you love the most. You will know when you are ready.
- You can write a letter – tell them how you feel, tell them who you are, tell them that nothing has changed.
- You can have a face to face conversation – preferably not in a drunk state of mind. However, sometimes it doesn’t hurt.
- You can live your life and not officially come out but bring your partner around like nothing happened.
You do not have to verbalize it to everybody you meet. You can just be. The same way as heterosexuals never introduce themselves with words “ and I am straight”. They just bring their spouses to events, to meet their parents and friends. Just do it without making a big deal.
- You can make a big deal. Start wearing t-shirts that support same sex marriage or I give a damn campaign or just say “I can’t even think straight”. Surround yourself with gay apparel so that
there is no doubt about what you are trying to say
- Start advocating for LGBT community
- Get interviewed on TV or write an article about coming out.
Just remember – being gay is not being different. You are still a good person – daughter, sister, brother, parent, co-worker, neighbour, friend.
Just because you fall in love with same sex people it doesn’t make you the 8th wonder of the world.