Isn’t this a TABOO topic? Most of us go through life like we are immortal behaving like death happens everywhere else but here, not in our lives, not close to home.
The moment thoughts of losing somebody dear crosses our minds, we try to push them out and bury them. We do not want to think as thinking hurts so much that we are afraid that we will not be able to function if we let these thoughts linger around.
If we get hurt or die, it is different from losing somebody that matters to us – a partner, a pet, a friend, a family member…If we die, then nothing matters anymore. If somebody else dies and we stay, the unbearable pain and emptiness will always be with us. We have to learn to live and enjoy life without them.
We know that nobody escapes death. We all will die sooner or later. It could be today, it could be tomorrow, it could be in 10 minutes or it could be in 50 years – nobody is safe and that is the only truth we know.
Does knowing change your view of life? Does knowing change choices you make? Sometimes…
We still have a natural tendency to hide from fear. Knowing and understanding has nothing against fear.
You might try to face FEAR, you might choose to ignore it and go on like nothing happened and nothing will happen, you might want to turn to religion that promises eternal life, you might turn to atheism that acknowledges non-existence, or you might choose to cherish every single moment of your life and live like there is no tomorrow without knowing or needing to know what happens after death.
When you face death, when it hits you where it hurts the most, you start realizing how fragile we are. We realize that it takes a second to go from being to not being. Sometimes you don’t even have time to say goodbye.
I can talk for hours and still not get anywhere, and not be able to come to any conclusion except already known statements:
- choose to be happy
- choose to follow your dreams
- Choose to live for yourself
- Surround yourself with people who bring joy and happiness to your life
- walk away from everything that is not making you a better person
- walk away from beliefs that are not yours
- choose to smile every day
- realize that there is nothing wrong with this world or people in it
- love what you do and do what you love
- do not let anybody tell you who you are and what you need to be or becomes
- inspire yourself and those around you just by being yourself and being proud of who you are
- forgive yourself and forgive those who have done you wrong in the past as you live today right here, right now
- appreciate those who choose to be around you and who want to have you in their lives
- don’t be afraid to reach out to those who matter and enjoy time with them as tomorrow might never come or tomorrow might be too late
- realize that fear is a taught feeling and it keeps you away from living a fulfilling life. It keeps you away from doing things that might make you happy. But fear will not keep you alive or will not postpone your death. Then why do you let FEAR rule your life?